Wednesday, January 7, 2015

The Twins Split Up

Since the minute the twins were born they were together, they slept together, ate together, did everything together.  They were even in the same classes until 1st grade.  I think it's safe to say they have spent almost their entire lives side by side in their daily lives....
 
In the NICU...
At home...



When they were about nine months old we split them up and "naptime" was their favorite time to climb from one crib to the other...




After playing for a long time they would finally fall asleep, together, in one crib...

Then we switched them to big boy beds, but still in the same room...







 
About a month ago we were talking at dinner and I mentioned that in our next house each of the boys will have their own rooms and no one will have to share.  Tyce starting BAWLING saying "that's no fair!  That means I'll never get to share and I'll always be alone!"  He frequently yells from his bedroom at night that he is lonely and wants to sleep with someone.  So, without thinking, I said "well do you guys want so switch rooms around?"  They all three shouted YES!  Josh said that he wanted his own room and Jackson said he would love to share with Tyce.  SO..we made the switch!
 
Here is Jack and Tyce's room...

And here is Josh's room...

 
After eight and a half years, they're separated...

That night I found myself so sad to think of the twins no longer together.  I mean, it's always been Jack and Josh, like a pair.  If you know them at all you know they are NOT clingy twins, meaning they do fine apart and always have.  But there is also a closeness about them, I have witnessed many experiences that remind me how close they are in a way only twins can be.  I have always envisioned them being together and close forever.  I hope this is not symbolic of them losing that bond.  An interesting dynamic has come about over the past year, however.  Jackson and Tyce have become very very close.  They fight way more than the twins EVER did but they also have SO much fun together!  Josh is frequently the one on his own while his brothers play something slightly more juvenile than he would prefer.  Josh is much more mature than Jackson in so many ways.  I am amazing at the conversations I am able to have with Josh, he seems so much older than 8 sometimes.  That being said, I think Josh is fine on his own because that's his nature.  Jack was always the boss and he was always the follower which I think is why the two of them got along so well.  Considering they've been side by side for eight years they rarely rarely fight.  Their personalities are just so different.  Tyce and Jack have more similar personalities so they fight more but have a lot of fun too.  They've been doing great in their separate rooms and we'll see if/how their relationship changes!  I think having twins was one of the biggest blessings in my life, there's nothing like it.  Love my Jack and Josh!!

No comments: