Monday, March 16, 2009

Things I Have Learned From My Parents...

I thought it'd be interesting (for personal history reasons, maybe not for most of you to read) to do a post on things I have learned (both silly and serious) over the last 25 years from my dear parents! Hopefully someday Jackson and Josh will be able to make a list of things that I have taught them that they have remembered and consider important!

*LIFE IS NOT FAIR (mostly pounded into my head by my dad, that was his response to pretty much anything I asked) But he really is right, things just don't make sense all the time and you can question it all you want but, in the end, life is not fair!

*YOU HAVE TO EAT YOUR VEGETABLES (my mom, of course) I hated hated eating vegetables growing up and my mom would make me eat them every single night (even rare nights where we would get a pizza-she would still make us eat huge salads before we could have pizza) and I couldn't leave the table until they were gone. I hated her for it at the time but I was SUCH a healthy kid and am now realizing how much better I feel when I am eating healthy like I was taught.

*YOU GO TO CHURCH, NO MATTER WHAT (both mom and dad) My parents were good examples of faithfully attending church every Sunday-they made it a priority in their lives and in ours and I appreciate that.

*THE GOSPEL IS TRUE (both mom and dad) My parents taught me from a young age that they believed in the gospel and that, if lived, it will bring much happiness. I never doubted how they felt about our church, and that provided me much comfort during difficult times in my life where I found myself wondering what I believed.

*IF YOU GIVE SLOW DRIVERS IN THE FAST LANE A NASTY GLARE WHEN PASSING THEM, THEY WILL EVENTUALLY LEARN TO GET OVER (thanks dad!) I totally made fun of my dad for always giving slow drivers "the stare" when passing them, but here I am...doing the exact same thing! Somehow it makes me feel better, even though they rarely even see me do it and probably could care less which is why they're there in the first place.

*ROLL THE BOWLING BALL AS SLOW AS YOU CAN WITHOUT IT STOPPING MID LANE (my petite little mother!) My mom actually took a bowling class at BYU and is a beautiful bowler, but her balls go SOOOO slow! It's hilarious! All her grandkids balls beat hers!

*THE IMPORTANCE OF SAVING MONEY (both my parents) Now, granted this doesn't apply to my CURRENT situation, seeing as we're not making any money TO save, but since I was little my parents taught me how to work for and save money. I had a job since I was 15 and first I had to pay my tithing, then put most of the remainder in my savings account.

*THE YOUNGEST IS THE MOST SPOILED, PERIOD (both) Those of you who know Lindsay, I really don't need to say anything more. =) Love ya sis, but we all know who the favorite is!

*FAMILY TRIPS ARE THE BEST (both) I was SO lucky growing up because my parents surprised us with trips to Disneyland, Disneyworld, Bahama cruise, and Hawaii and we as a family have SO many memories of those trips! They really were the best of times!

*FAMILY DINNERS TOGETHER ARE A MUST (mother dearest!) We had a very hectic life at home with my dad being bishop and all three of us girls busy with school, soccer, swimming, choir, friends, etc but my mom almost always managed to find SOME time where we could all sit at the table and eat together. It was so nice to be able to have even just 30 minutes of time together as a family to talk about our days and bond.

*IT'S OK TO TALK ABOUT "GIRL STUFF" (dad!) Since I had all sisters there was really nothing that was off limits to talk about at my house, which I loved. I think it's mostly a good thing...but sometimes I have to tone it down-like at my in laws!!! I remember when I was at school and needed a tampon...MY DAD BROUGHT IT FOR ME! He drove up to my school with it sticking out of his sun roof, haha, SO mature pa! =)

*APPARENTLY IT'S NOT OK TO TELL YOUR PARENTS YOU'RE STAYING AT YOUR BEST FRIEND'S HOUSE AND GO TO THE BEACH WITH YOUR BOYFRIEND INSTEAD (let's face it, neither parent was thrilled with this) Ah the stupid things teenagers do. Needless to say, I got caught...grounded from my high school boyfriend for a month-then HIS mom found out....and grounded him from me for a month...it was a LONG two months!

*PARENTS WILL DO ANYTHING FOR THEIR KIDS (both mom and dad) I know my parents have made, and will continue to make, huge sacrifices for us three girls. My parents were extremely unselfish growing up and always put our needs first. My dad even dug out my favorite stuffed animal out of the big outside garbage for me! My mom spent many nights up with me during a very rough break up in high school. Those things seem trivial now, but were so very important to me at the time.

I love my parents and know I wouldn't be where I am in life without their support, guidance, and love.

6 comments:

Nika, Travis, Ayda and Zander said...

Isn't it funny that when we were younger our parents didn't know anything and as we get older they really did know it all...thanks for sharing. I like the tampon one the best!

Lindsay said...

HAHAHAHAHA. I can just hear dad, "well daughter, life's not fair." I am so not the spoiled one. Dana is. I'll be lucky if my kids get ANY presents compared to the rest of the grandkids.

Brent said...

You couldn't be more wrong, sir.......XOXOXO, Pa

Riddle Girl said...

This is an awesome list. I never quite thought of putting it together like this. Sounds like you have GREAT parents!
And haven't we all tried the: "I'm gonna be at my friends house" bit. I'm just waiting for my girls to try things on me. (I just hope the tricks haven't changed that much.)

Endless Glow by Jenn said...

Ha ha. I love your parents. Infact, I remember you getting grounded for going to the beach. You thought your life was over :)

Unknown said...

I just saw that you're having another boy. Oh Jenn, I totally understand! They'll be so cute together though! As dissapointed as I was to find out I was adding a third girl, we're loving it now. I did have everything planned out (how many kids I would have and their genders) perfectly with my third being a boy however. Oh well! At least you'll save lots of money on clothes. I sure have.