Wednesday, January 2, 2013

My New Addition

I have had terrible pain in my heels for about 9 months now.  I finally went to see a podiatrist and found out I have plantar fasciitis (Plantar fasciitis is a painful inflammatory process of the plantar fascia, the connective tissue on the sole (bottom surface) of the foot. It is often caused by overuse of the plantar fascia or arch tendon of the foot. It is a very common condition and can be difficult to treat if not looked after properly.)  After trying a brace, stretches, shots, orthotics, steroids, and other things...the doctor put me in this beauty...
 

I have to wear this for 6 to 8 weeks and am also going to start physical therapy.  The unfortunate thing is I also have it in my other foot as well so once this foot heals (IF this foot heals) I get to wear the boot on the other foot!  I have been wearing it for almost a month and have gotten pretty used to it.  Stairs are very difficult, especially when carrying groceries or kids.  I have learned to drive pretty well with it, braking with my left foot.  I have been less than fashionable this winter as I can only wear certain shoes and pants with it.  The biggest challenge for me has been giving up running.  I haven't run since November and I hate it.  I am gaining weight and I am losing all I worked for.  The only thing I can do at the gym is my body pump class (just no lunges) and the stationary bike.  I HATE biking!  I am less motivated to go to the gym now that I can't run but I know SOME exercise is better than none. 

The reason I blog about this is because for 29 years I have taken for granted basic things like walking, running, and being physical. Being on my feet is so painful.  Parker and I spent three hours Christmas shopping for the boys and I was in such pain I considered climbing in the shopping cart.  Basic things like standing in the kitchen cooking dinner are unbearable.  I have high hopes that this treatment will work and I will, someday soon, be pain free and able to resume my normal life.  In the meantime...I am trying to be positive...

No comments: