Sunday, June 1, 2008

What's Weird About DC...

So we've been here about two weeks now and I thought it'd be interesting to write down everything that I find weird, interesting, or different out here on the east coast:

*There is so much diversity! Most of the places I go I am in the minority and I don't understand any of the languages being spoken! I have mixed feelings about it. Mostly I love it, I love being out of Utah where it seems everyone is the same. I love meeting new people who have completely different lives and backgrounds than me. HOWEVER, I fully believe that everyone needs to learn English if they want to live here. I'll leave it at that =) I could do a whole blog on my opinion about this issue.

*The roads and freeways here are SO confusing! The carpool lanes are in the middle of the freeway and there are certain times of the day that you can get in and out and at different times of the day it goes different directions! Obviously, I steer clear of those lanes since I can't figure it out and just sit in traffic. Haha.

*Customer service is lacking big time out here. First of all, no one speaks enough English to really help you and second of all everyone seems to be in such a hurry they just want to get you in and out and who cares how you're treated.

*That being said, people here drive pretty slow and don't seem to be in much of a hurry! Granted, I've lived in Utah for 8 years where the norm is 80 mph on the freeway, but still! People drive like 60 on the freeway!

*Licence plates-holy cow-I swear the state of Virginia has 800 different license plates that all look completely different. I also think DC's license plates are funny-they say Taxation without Representation. I guess they're bitter about not being a "state" but I just think it's weird to use license plates to gripe about politics.

*Groceries are crazy expensive and at a lot of stores you are not allowed to take your shopping cart to your car! You can imagine me with twins and a crap load of groceries finding that out, so I popped a wheelie with my cart and jumped the barrier thing. Haha.

*People in downtown DC are more than willing to help you find where you're trying to go...IF, of course, you give them a few bucks.

*People seem a little less trusting out here than in Utah, it's kind of sad to me but it is indicative of where our society is heading.

*You can smoke in restaurants here! EW! Nothing is more nasty than trying to enjoy your food when the guy next to you is blowing smoke your way. Seriously, that is so inconsiderate and disgusting. How dumb do you have to be these days to be smoking!

*Men don't give up their seats for women out here, like on the metro or waiting at a restaurant or something. I miss that about Utah...

That's all I can think of right now. Don't get me wrong, I like it out here-it's just...different! I don't know if I could live here long term but it's way fun for the summer. Just pray that I don't die of heat stroke! AH!

8 comments:

Acker Family said...

Oh Jenn I can't imagine the grocery thing! Way to go with ignoring that little rule! I would've done the same! Keep staying stron my friend :)

Masons said...

Have you gotten lost yet? Probably not. Things like that only really happen when we're together. I love your place! I REALLY want to come visit!

Janae said...

Ha ha. That is too funny. I loved reading about all that stuff. Reminds me of when I moved out here to the East how different everything seemed. So what are moms like us with lots of groceries Supposed to do??? weird. We have smoking in restaurants here too, and I hate going out to eat because of it. Some restaurants have banned it themselves which is nice, and most at least have different seating sections, but it doesn't really help much. Drives me crazy! yuck!!

Daisha said...

holy cow :) crazy stuff. sounds interesting!

Daisha said...

ok, i may ahve already told you, but Lindsey Scofield (now Hyer) Tiffany Cohenour's cousin that always came to gorls camp is living in Maryland while her husbadn does the DC thing this summer too. You too shoulg get together out there (find her on my blog roll (lindsey & mike). Oh, I also saw Ryan Wilder adn his wife are out there this summer too!

Jami said...

People are so impatient on the east coast! If I don't go the second the light turns green I am being honked at. I don't know how many times a day I jump because someone is honking at me.

Britt Wright said...

I love the different views on things. It is a good experience for your boys. I want to take my family traveling and living in different areas for the experience.

Mike and Lindsey said...

Hey Jenn! I don't know if you remember me. Lindsey Scofield. I was good friends with Daisha in high school and I went to girl's camp with you guys, I'm also Tiffany's cousin. Anyway, Daisha told me you guys were in Virginia, My husband and I live in Silver Spring Maryland. You're pictures look very much like our pictures. Anyway, if you're up for it, we should get together.