Thursday, November 13, 2008

Poor Me...

Well I had my endoscopy yesterday afternoon and it confirmed that I definitely have celiac disease. They also said I had really bad acid reflux and my esophagus was swollen, red, and damaged. They gave me a prescription for that, which I may have to be on forever, but the only treatment for celiac disease is just a complete change in my diet. I can't eat anything with gluten/wheat in it, which is everything I love! I can't eat toast, cereal, oatmeal, cookies, crackers, chips, pasta, aka everything I eat. Everyone keeps telling me, "it could be worse you could have cancer." And I KNOW that would be worse, but really I just want to feel sorry for myself. If you know me at ALL, you know that I am a very picky eater so it's going to be hard to find things that I CAN eat. Also, the substitution foods are quite a bit more expensive than normal food so I'm not looking forward to that. BUT...the good news is I know now what was wrong so I can start feeling better and having energy. My stomach is so damaged from the gluten that my body isn't able to absorb anything which is why I have been so tired and had no energy. Anyways, that's the update. I'm starting my gluten free diet on Sunday, so wish me luck!!

8 comments:

JP said...

We love you Jenn, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your new diet:) Like you said, it will be great to have more energy and feel better. Just keep looking at the positives!

Janae said...

Good luck with your new diet- that totally stinks! My sister as celiac disease too, so I totally know how horrible it is. She can't eat anything. But she might have some good tricks or recipes or something for you if you want.

We need to get together soon too! Jaycee has been asking about Jackson and Josh.

BDawg said...

This is Brad, I go to school with cancer.

One of my best friends found out he was gluten-intolerant a few years ago. He is kind of a husky guy who really loves food and beer, so it was a big lifestyle change.

But the good news is, eating-changes aside, he feels a lot better now. He even started running 5 and 10K races and lost a lot of weight.

BDawg said...

I go to school with Parker, not "cancer." Oops.

Val said...

We thought Devin was celiac for a while, too. Her tests were borderline, but they determined she wasn't. So we just keep looking for solutions to her constant stomach aches. I don't envy you. After reading up on it, I was not looking forward to trying to cook a special diet for her! But we do what we have to, huh. I'm sure it is definitely worth feeling better! I do know there are some great websites out there with recipes, etc. Glad you found your answer!

P.S. We still need to get together!

Justina Selim said...

So sorry Jenn! I will get some tips for you from my mom while we are down for Thxgiving! Hugs!!

melissa said...

oh good luck, jenn. i'd be interested to know what you can eat.

Poelmans said...

hey girl, so sorry about the diagnosis. I have a good friend who has the same thing. She's had it for like 2 years now, so if you need her info, let me know! I'm sure she has some good ideas . . .