Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Jack the Perfectionist

I just don't know what to do about my sweet Jackson. He is so extremely OCD that teaching him is very difficult. We have been working on learning to write his name for quite some time. Josh learned in a matter of days and, actually, Jackson could have as well EXCEPT...he is an extreme perfectionist. We haven't gotten past the letter J because he gets upset with himself because his J's aren't PERFECT like mine or like the one on his wall in his room. He's 3, his J's will not be perfect, but I don't know how to tell him that. I tell him his J's ARE perfect, which makes him more mad. And by mad I mean typical Jackson fit (rolling on the ground crying in devastation). It's frustrating. I'm hoping as he gets older he can channel his perfectionism (is that a word?) towards something good but I really don't know how to handle him?

Any suggestions or ideas???

5 comments:

Daisha said...

My cousin has a son who is extremly OCD and if I remember correctly she had him in certain theraphys and possibly medication and he has improved so much. I'd be happy to email her and give her you email address if you'd like. I'm sure she'd be glad to help!

Jenn said...

That'd be great Daisha! I'm up to try anything! =) Thanks!

Masons said...

No medication.

Justina Selim said...

Aiden is kinda like that too. He freaks out about the littlest things. I was trying to teach him to write his name when he first started preschool and he acted the same way. He wouldn't get past the A because it didn't look like an A. I'm not sure what his preschool teacher does, but she taught him how to write his name and now he will write any word I tell him to if I will spell it for him out loud. I really think he just doesn't handle it well when I am the one teaching him for some reason. Weird, but I don't know.

Justina Selim said...

PS I have a computer!!!!!!!!!!!!